lunedì 25 maggio 2009

FOURTH LESSON

GRAMMAR
Can, could, be able to (ability and possibility)


  • Can only has a present, past and conditional form.
I can speak Spanish very well.
She could play the violin when she was three.
She can't come tonight. She's ill.
They couldn't wait because they were in a hurry.
Could you open that door, please?


  • You can use be able to in the present, past, future, present perfect, and as a gerund or infinitive.
I am able to aept your invitation.
They weren't able to come.
I'll be able to practise my Englkish in London.
I'd like to be able to ski.

EXERCISE
Complete the sentences with the correct form of can, could, or be able to.
(Workbook, pag.30)


- She could type when she started working for IBM Berlin.
- She can speak Italian.
- She's able to write computer programs since at least 1990.
- She'd like to be able to speak Russian.
- She couldn't speak Spanish when she was with IBM London.
- She'll be able to drive a car very soon.


Put the correct form. If both forms are possible, put them both. (Workbook, pag.30)

- To work for this airlain you must be able to speak English fluenty.
- I'm really sorry I couldn't come to your party last Saturday.
- If it doesn't rain, we'll be able to go to the mountains tomorrow.
- I've been so busy I haven't been able to call him yet.
- I used to be able to speak a bit of Russian but I've forgotten it now.
- If we had a bit more money, we could/would be able to buy a better car.
- I hate not being able to tell my boss what I really think of him.
- He could/was able to talk when he was only eighteen months old.
- Can you/ will you be able to help me tomorrow?
- I've never been able to dance very well.
- To live in the country you need to be able to drive.



Nessun commento: